Jun 30 2009

Then & Now: The Massapequa Lodge

Continuing our "Then and Now" series, this photo captured Old 16, the eventual winner of the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race, climbing the Long Island Motor Prarkway bridge over Massapequa-Hicksville Road. To the right is the Massapqua Lodge, one of the three John Russell Pope-designed toll lodges opened in 1908.


This photo, courtesy of Ron Ridolph, was taken at almost the same location in 1959. The bridge has been taken down and the lodge abandoned.


The lodge was demolished in the early 1960s and the site became part of a garden apartment complex. Note the right-of-way of the Long Island Parkway has been repaved and now leads to the Eighth Precint police station.


Leave a Comment