Last Friday's Mystery Foto was Grave's Garage in Mineola in 1908. The car shown was the #3 Mercedes driven by Emil Stricker in the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race.
Robert Graves was the owner of the #1 Mercedesthat raced in the 1905 Vanderbilt Cup Race and the two #3 Mercedes that raced in the 1906 and 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Races.
Congrats to Ariejan Bos of the Netherlands who once again got the answer 100% correct and even corrected an earlier VanderbiltCupRaces. com website page. Kudos to Greg, Art and Ted who identified Grave's Garage. More images and details are below.
Art, thanks for forwarding information and photos.
If you have a suggested Mystery Foto, please send a jpeg to Howard@Kroplick.com.
A 1905 article on Robert Graves, who may be the man ton the far right in the above photo.
Grave's Garage was the most elegant and expensive garage on Long Island.
Note the design of the number 3 on the car.
1906 Collapse of Grave's Garage
Unfortunately, during construction in September 1906, the building collapsed resulting in the death of three workers with twelve more injured.
Driver Camille Jenatzy posing in front of the collapsed building prior to the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup Race.
"Then & Now" from Art Kleiner
Grave's Garage was located north of Searing Avenue in Mineola.
The site of the garage from 1922 through 2010 was home to the Corpus Christie school - From the Mineola Patch:
For 88 years, Corpus Christi School has served the children of its eponymous parish, offering a Catholic education all the way from nursery and pre-K through eighth grade. Originally staffed by the Sisters of St. Dominic, the brick-and-mortar school is actually two buildings - the original built in 1922 and a newer wing in 1953 - connected by a breezeway. The two-story structure is located at the very end of Searing Avenue's dead end, next to the Long Island Rail Road tracks. The school has two free parking lots: one directly across from the front entrance and the other located in building's rear. A playground for younger students is also on the premises. The Diocese of Rockville Centre cited declining enrollment as the main reason for its decision to close the school after the 2009-10 school year.
Th only remaining remnant of Grave's Garage is the concrete wall surrounding the property.