May 11 2010

From the Drennan Collection: The Roosevelt Raceway Bar & Restaurant


For the 1936 and 1937 Vanderbilt Cup Races, a former huge hangar for Roosevelt Field was converted into the Administration Building for the new Roosevelt Racway. As shown in this 1936 aerial, the buidling was located south of Old Country Road and behind two grandstands. Glass negatives from the Drennan Collection provide insight into one use of the building.



 

This 1937 aerial shows the Roosevelt Raceway Administration building. Note: The white roof on the south side of the buidling.



 

Under this roof was the entrance to the Roosevelt Raceway Bar and Restaurant.



 

This photo is the only known image showing the bar and the inside of the restaurant. A large racing mural was painted on the wall behind the bar.



 

The copy below the mural read: "Toast! Here's to the Fastest Car on the Track and Here's to the Boys who Lost All This Jack!"



Other photos from the Drennan Collection:

-A Treasure Box of Long Island Auto Racing Discovered by the Cradle of Aviation

-The 1936 Vanderbilt Cup Race Awards Ceremony



Comments

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.