Dec 11 2013

The Motor Parkway Toll Collection Structures: #11 Massapequa Lodge in Plainedge

Going west to east, the tenth Motor Parkway toll collection structure was the Massapequa Lodge in Plainedge.

The Lodge was located west of Massapequa Road, now Massapequa-Hicksville Road.As one of the original three toll lodges built in 1908 and on the course for the 1908 to 1910 Vanderbilt Cup Races, the Massapequa Lodge is very well-documented.



Howard Kroplick

July 1908 Survey

The .448 acreas for the lodge in "Plain Edge" was purchased from Joseph Walsh. The lodge was named because of its entrance on Massapequa Road.

1908 Image

The Massapequa Lodge was one of the three identical toll lodges designed by John Russell Pope and built in time for the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race.. The other two were the Meadow Brook Lodge and the Bethpage Lodge.

This a view looking east from the Wantagh Avenue Bridge. The lodge is in the background on the right. The Central branch of the LIRR is parallel to the Motor Parkway on the right.

1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race

This is the view from the Massapequa Road Motor Parkway Bridge. Note the pioneering guardrails on both sides of the parkway.

A classic view of Old 16 climbing the bridge.

1909 Vanderbilt Cup Race

The Motor Parkway section for the 1909 and 1910 courses ended at the Massapequa Lodge. A temporary banked road connected the Massapqua Road.

A wonderful view of the lodge.

A telephone operator calling in the standings to the officals' stand.

The eventual winner the Alco Black Beast taking the turn at the lodge.

This photo was taken further down the temporary road. Note the lodge in the background.

1910 Vanderbilt Cup Race

Even larger crowds showed up at the lodge in 1910.

One of the few images showing the "Massapequa" sign.

This appears to be a large map of the Motor Parkway.

1950 Aerial

The "keyhole" entrance from Massapequa Road was similar to the Meadow Brook Lodge entrance.

1960 Image

This photo, courtesy of Ron Ridolph, was taken at almost the same location as the above Old 16 photo. The bridge has been taken down and the lodge abandoned.


The lodge was demolished in the early 1960s and the site became part of a garden apartment complex. Note the right-of-way of the Long Island Parkway has been repaved and now leads to the Eighth Precinct police station.

A Google Earth view of the site for the Massapequa Lodge.


Dec 26 2016 Tom 5:50 PM

Love the pic of Old 16 climbing the bridge!

Leave a Comment