William C. Moyers, formerly of Garden City, challenged you with this weekend's Mystery Foto.
Answers to the Mystery Foto questions:
- William believes a historic marker is long overdue for a building in this aerial (courtesy of the Cradle of Aviation). What is the building? What is its location? Why is it historic?
The Mystery Foto is looking south/east over Garden City, East Garden City and East Meadow. The second rectangular building seen in the left corner of the Mystery Foto was Hangar 16 of Curtiss Field in Garden City. This hangar housed Charles Lindbergh's Sprit of St. Louis from May 12, 1927 until its historic flight on May 21, 1927. In this hangar, Lindbergh worked with his mechanics to tune the Spirit of St. Louis' engine and replace a carburetor heater and compass.
- Identify the airplane
Keystone B-6 Bombers
- Identify the major roads and parkway in this Mystery Foto
The intersection in the lower left corner is Old Country Road (west/east) and Clinton Road (north/south). The Long Island Motor Parkway and Stewart Avenue run parallell above the wings of the Keystone bombers.
- What year was this aerial taken?
Congrats to Steve Tremulis, Frank Femenias, Charles Parmelee, Greg O., Steve Lucas, and Art Kleiner for identifying the historic building as the Spirit of St. Louis hangar.
Kudos to William C. Moyers, Josh Stoff and Julia Blum of the Cradle of Aviation, Frank Femenias and Art Kleiner for their assistance in this fascinating Mystery Foto!
Let's try to get a historic marker on Old Country Road for Hangar 16. Voice your opinion in the new VanderbiltCupRaces.com poll.
Three squadrons of Keystone Bombers and the location of Hangar 16(Submitted by Frank Femenias)
Location of Hangar 16 and Lindbergh's Takeoff Run (Courtesy of the Cradle of Aviation)
* marks location of Hangar 16
Note: The locations of Hangars 16, 17 amd the Long Island Motor Parkway
Dotted line marked the border between Curtiss Field and Roosevelt Field in 1927.
Roosevelt Field maps "executed" by Eric Sloane.
Aerial view of Curtiss Field (bottom) and Roosevelt Field (top).
Eric Sloane Map (Submitted by Art Kleiner)
Another Roosevelt Field map by Eric Sloane.
Popular Aviation, April 1934
Aerial of Curtiss Field and Motor Parkway circa 1926. (Courtesy of the Garden City Archives)
Curtiss Field looking north. Clinton Road is on the left and Old Country Road is across the top. The first two hangars on Old Country Road (left to right) are Hangar 17 and Hangar 16.
Amazing closeup of the Clinton Road Motor Parkway Bridge, the General Manager's Office and the Garden City Lodge. Note: the automobile in front of the General Manager's Office.
Curtiss Field (May 15, 1921) (Courtesy of Tom Heitzman)
Looking north, Hangar 16 can be seen at the top left corner. Caption: Opening day Curtiss Field, Garden City.
Curtiss Field (1926) (Courtesy of the Frank Strnad Collection)
Looking north/east, Hangar 16 is on the far left. Note: Building 13 in front of the hangar. The photo was taken at the American Legion Air Circus on September 26, 1926. The large plane on the right is a Remington-Burnelli RB-2, the first aircraft to carry an automobile.
Looking south, Hangar 16. Note the peak roof of Buidling 13 on the left.
Looking north/west, Hangar 17 (directly south of Hangar 16). Note: The utility lines of Clinton Road and Old Country Road.
Spirit of St. Louis at Hangar 16 in Curtiss Field (May 12- May 20, 1927) (Courtesy of the Cradle of Aviation)
Charles Lindbergh arrived at Curtiss Field on May 12, 1927 and housed and serviced the Spirit of St. Louis in Hangar 16. This photo is looking north/west and mislabled "Roosevelt Field".
Aviationpros.com (Submitted by Art Kleiner)
The Spirit of St. Louis in front of Hangar 16 getting ready for a test flight on May 14, 1927.
. Spirit of St. Louis in front of Hangar 16 looking north.Submitted by Art Kleiner
The photo is from the airportappraisals.com website. Click on the Part I video beginning at the 3:06 mark and see the Spirit of St. Louis being taken out of Hangar 16 for a test flight..
Lindbergh working or posing in front of the Spirits' Wright J-5 "Whirlwind" engine in Hangar 16. The propeller and spinner have temporarily been removed.
While working on the Spirit of St. Louis and waiting for better weather, Lindbergh received visitors in Hangar 16 from Commander Richard Byrd and Clarence Chamberlain who were also attempting the Atlantic Ocean crossing. Note: The cast on Byrd's left hand from a test-flight crash.
Lindbergh was surrounded by Harry Guggenheim (left) and Charles Lawrance (right). Lawrance designed the Spirit of St. Louis' Whirlwind" engine and was the "L" in the B.L.M. car that was a candidate for competing in the 1906 American Trial for the Vanderbilt Cup Race.
May 21, 1927
The Spirit of St. Louis was taken out of Hangar 16 and towed one-mile east to the longer runway at Roosevelt Field.
Click on Part 3 of this video on airplaneappraisals.com and see the amazing take-off of the Sprit of St. Louis.
October 7, 1938 Aerial of Roosevelt Field
Note the proximity of Hangar 16 to the Long Island Motor Parkway on the left. Note: The Old Country Road Motor Parkway Bridge went under Old Country Road.
April 6, 1956 (Submitted by Art Kleiner)
Newsday, April 9, 1956
Courtesy of the Cradle of Aviation
Femenias' Findings (Mappings submitted by Frank Femenias)
Then (1931) & Now
Exact locations today.
The location of Hangar 16 on the west end of 600 Centra Building at 600 Old Country Road in East Garden City.
The location looking south at Old Country Road.