Jun 03 2013

Mystery Foto #18 Solved: The Links Golf Club’s Private Entrance to the Long Island Motor Parkway

Queens historian and "Champion of the Motor Parkway" Robert Miller has provided this rare image of an even rarer private entrance to the Long Island Motor Parkway.

The entrance was to the the Links Golf Club, then in Searingtown, now in North Hills. As indicated by the articles below, William K. Vanderbilt, Jr. was a founding member of the course.

Congrats to Art Kleiner, Joe Oesterle, and Steve Lucas who solved the Mystery Foto.

Special kudos to Art who submitted an aerial where he believed the entrance gate was located and several articles on the Links Golf Club.

If you have a suggested Mystery Foto, please send a jpeg to Howard@Kroplick.com.

Enjoy,

Howard Kroplick

Click on the image to enlarge it.

1924 Aerial

Appropriately, there was hardly a tree on the Links course.

My best guess where the entrance gate was located. This agrees with Art's submission.

From Art Kleiner

Art Kleiner: "I'm estimating the gate from the Motor Parkway to the Links Golf Course to be about 9 houses in from Shelter Rock Road based on the photo you provided showing some structures (one maybe the clubhouse) on the course and current photos that might be showing the same structures.  There is what looks to be a gate entrance across from that house that lies directly south of the structure that could be the clubhouse.  I would presume that an entrance from the Parkway to the course would be close to the clubhouse and that would be off off Shelter Rock Road. "

The New York Times, August 20, 1989.

The New York Times, November 28, 1993

More Information on the Links Golf Club

Poker chips from the Links Golf Club as posted on oldpokerchips.com .

Undated article.

The New York Times, May 1988

The Links

Although the golf course is long gone, The Links  still exists  as a U.S.G.A. type-two sanctioned club.with an elegant building on 36 East 62nd Street. Amazing but true.

Comments

May 31 2013 Joe Oesterle 1:52 AM

Links golf course.  That gate has been gone a long time.

May 31 2013 Bruce Adams 3:03 PM

From Willy K’s Deepdale Estate?

Jun 02 2013 Steve Lucas 12:26 PM

I think that’s the entrance to the Links Golf Course. It would have been on the north side of the LIMP between New Hyde Park Road and Shelter Rock Road. The golf course is no longer there but has been developed into “The Links” gated community.

Jun 02 2013 brian d mccarthy 11:27 PM

Wow. I’m pretty clueless about this one. Douglaston Golf Club?

Jun 03 2013 Art K. 12:13 AM

Links Golf Course in North Hills.  I believe the exact location is situated across from 239 Robby Lane (educated guess based on the structures in your photo being the clubhouse and some more recent photos showing similar structures and where they would be situated today).  Howard, see the articles concerning the Links Golf Course, Willie K., and the Motor Parkway I’m sending under separate cover.

Jun 03 2013 frank femenias 10:04 AM

At first I was thinking this was Willie K’s private entrance to the LIMP at Deepdale Mansion but the missing slat and hanging left gate door would not be permissible at Deepdale. So I’m guessing we’re at the east end in Lake Ronkonkoma but not at the Petit Trianon. I think were just down the block off the LIMP at this private entrance to the maids quarters at the Annex. That gate would have been heavily used there. Good tricky photo this week Robert.

Jun 04 2013 Joe Oesterle 2:15 AM

Thanks for another great post.  The Links was just another place for us kids to explore.  Sleigh riding and snowball fights are some of my better memories.  But overall, I think the developer did an excellent job.  There is plenty of open space, and a few of the small hills and bluffs remain.  But it is also part of our unique Long Island history.  My close friends older brother was a caddy there for years.  He used to caddy for Jock Whitney and so many others, including English royalty.  I once heard a rumor the old clubhouse was IU Willets home?  I wonder if that was true.  I cannot get enough of your website.

Jun 04 2013 brian d mccarthy 7:58 AM

I wonder if the pillars are still hidden in there? I’ll have to check it out the next time I’m in there.

Jun 04 2013 Joe Oesterle 2:23 PM

In reply to Brian, there is no trace of this entrance remaining.  None.

Jun 09 2013 BradH 6:58 PM

The estate shown in the above aerial just north of the course is “Northcort” also labeled “North Hills”. Currentley the Buckley Country Day School -  http://halfpuddinghalfsauce.blogspot.com/2013/03/twin-gardens-in-tudor-setting.html

Jun 10 2013 Al Velocci 7:25 PM

Howard, The Links Golf Club clubhouse was located northeast of the Motor Parkway’s entrance to the Club. It was an old farmhouse that at one time was owned by the Willets family. It was located pretty much where the North Hill Village Hall is today.  When the Links residential community was being laid out there was some half-hearted talk about restoring the Willets farmhouse to be used an the Village Hall. As we know , it didn’t happen. Keep up the good work. Al

Jun 10 2013 Al Velocci 7:33 PM

Howard,  The Links golf Clubhouse can be seen in the background on the right side of Robert Miller’s photo. The long rectangular building you identify as the clubhouse was used as maintainance equipment garage. I believe that motorized golf carts were also stored there. Al

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.